Guiseley AFC’s Community Foundation has been successful in its bid to take the Premier League Primary Stars Scheme into three local schools.
The Premier League Primary Stars will run throughout the next Academic Year and the participating schools are Queensway PS, Guiseley PS and Yeadon Westfield.
Our Community Development Manager Steve Taylor sits on the steering group of the Aireborough Learning Partnership and they have identified the three schools as those in greatest need.
Taylor said: “We see this, very much, as a pilot programme that could be rolled out to the other schools in the partnership. We are looking to involve all pupils in physical activities within a fun environment that allows them to increase their fitness in an enjoyable manner.
“We will also look to identify and target those who find it difficult to engage in sport in this way, be that due to attitude issues, SEND or physical disability, in order to include them in activities wherever possible.
“We are also looking to involve the whole school in a waste reduction and recycling project that will be co-ordinated across the three schools to bring an element of competition to the pupil’s activities.
“The aim is that the nature of the project, which is attracting a lot of media attention, will motivate the pupils in a practical sense so that subjects such as Maths, English and PHSE can be seen to be elevant within the context of the project.”
The plan would be to:
• Support teachers in the delivery of PE and other multi-sport coaching activities
• Offer CPD workshops to teachers so as to increase their confidence in PE delivery.
• Use the Power of Sport and the kudos of their local football club to motivate pupils to become more active.
• Utilise School Assemblies to introduce a project involving waste reduction and recycling.
• Identify and target those pupils who are not engaging in sport or school life in general, for whatever reason, and work with them so that they may become fully engaged once more.
• Offer lunchtime football and multi-sport activities for girls and mixed groups so as to increase activity levels and follow these sessions up with inter-school competitions
• Assist in the running of Sports Days